Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, October 26, 2008

    Microblogging

    So, I just read this article in a newspaper the other day about microblogging. According to Wikipedia:

    Micro-blogging is a form of multimedia blogging that allows users to send brief text updates (say, 140 characters or fewer) or micromedia such as photos or audio clips and publish them, either to be viewed by anyone or by a restricted group which can be chosen by the user. These messages can be submitted by a variety of means, including text messaging, instant messaging, email, MP3 or the web.

    The content of a micro-blog differs from a traditional blog due in that it is typically more topical, smaller in aggregate file size (e.g. text, audio or video) but is the same in that people utilize it for both business and individual reasons. Many micro-blogs provide this short commentary on a person-to-person level, or share news about a company's products and services.

    It's even shorter than SMS, less than 160 characters! While microblogging can arguably be done in a regular blog, it seems to be catered by specialized sites such as Twitter, Plurk, and Jaiku. Of course, Facebook also has this function in the form of Status Update. I haven't tried any of the services yet, except for Facebook's. Even then, I'm not the regular updater of my own status. Will definitely take a look on this microblogging thing, perhaps waiting for more friends to be involved in either one of the services. You all know the network effect, right?

    For the moment, I'll probably microblog in my Facebook and regular blog. Oh, and I just injured my back during weight-training exercise earlier this evening. Hopefully, I can get some treatment this week and feel better. Ugh, it's gonna be a painful week...

    No comments: