Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, August 23, 2005

    Washington DC - Day 2 (May 25, 2005)

    Crap. I just found out last night that my internship didn't go through. CAIR just e-mailed me that I wasn't selected for the summer internship. Well, now what? Now, the plan could either be saved or let it fell through. I've traveled this far (3 hrs. flight but still), so I won't let it fell through. Today I set plans in motion, which over the next 6 weeks or so, would bring me through numerous job applications, several interviews, and a hell of a ride in between.

    Still, the question beget, why Washington? After all, I could just stay in St. Louis and continued my job search there or at least until I got some sort of job offer before deciding to move out. Well, it didn't work. Externally, people would be unlikely to hire someone far away especially if it's just for entry-level positions. Internally, my motivation to keep this thing going was slowly dying out. There was nothing for me in St. Louis job-wise, so I better get back on track or it is time for me to go home.

    I know, it still doesn't answer the question, why Washington? Well, Washington was on top of my list for a potential relocation city. Even before I graduated, it had been among the top three. The non-profit is one of the industry sectors I want to get involved in, and Washington is like the mecca of non-profits. I also flirted with the idea of working for public administration, so Washington is the logical choice.

    I have visited Washington twice before, once in Summer 1994 and most recently on Summer 2002 (a road trip worthy of its own posting series). I like the city of Washington, DC. It's accessible and beautiful, it has good public transport system, and the city is moderately paced (not bustling like NYC, and not too laid-back like most cities I've been in). Boston and Chicago would probably the only other cities that rival Washington in that respect (I haven't been in Seattle so I don't know about it).

    Well, I hope that answers the question, more about my adventure coming up.

    No comments: